Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Scratch one off the bucket list


Making a quilt has been on my 'list of things to do before I die' for years, to the bemusement of some of my friends. Finally (and largely because of some fabulous frog fabric) I decided to bite the bullet and try making one. I've been reading this blog for a couple of months, and darnit she made it seem doable. So... I sketched out a rough pattern, basically a bunch of 'nine patches' alternating with solid blocks, and sewed it up. I can't sew straight to save my life, and surely it'd be easier to sew a 1/4 inch seam allowance if I knew what a quarter inch looked like (you people can't just call it a 5mm allowance???) but the end result, while far, far, far from technically perfect, is pretty darned cool! I quilted it by stitching the ditch of the big seams, then diagonally along the big blocks and coloured little blocks. I even bound it, though the binding really sucks. In all I am fabulously pleased with myself. It's a lap quilt size more or less, measuring about 48 x 60, and features tons of different frog fabrics, perfect (hopefully) for my frog-loving father in law to use as his naptime blankie :)

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Great job on your first quilt! I hope it's the first of many! :-)

Gigi's Thimble said...

Oh that is so cool! Good job! Don't you feel so proud of yourself! Congrats, it's a beautiful quilt!

XUE said...

Beautiful first quilt! Wish you lots more to come!